Monday, September 24, 2012

Chickpea, Tomato and Quinoa Salad


This is a such a yummy dish.  It can be a meal, a snack or a side...it is pretty light so goes with just about everything.  I found the recipe online one day and decided to add the quinoa in after making it a few times.  So keep that in mind when you make it...if you either don't like quinoa or don't have any in the pantry.

Do you use Quinoa?  It is one of my favorite grains...you cook it just as you would cook rice...I have made quinoa on the stovetop...but my favorite way to cook it is in a rice steamer.  It really doesn't get any easier than that.  Just like rice you use 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid, cook for 45 minutes in rice steamer, if you are cooking on the stovetop you basically bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until liquid is absorbed.  The packaging will have cooking instructions as well.  You can use water or the stock of your choice.  I prefer to use stock because it cooks a little bit of flavor into the quinoa.  To me quinoa is kinda like tofu...it will taste like whatever you mix in with it...so the possibilities are endless.  It is also a HIGH source of protein and it is a complete protein comparable to that which is found in meat, fish, poultry, dairy etc.  

Recipe:
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
About 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
25 large basil leaves, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 TSP olive oil
1/2 BSP honey
pinch of salt

I just eyeball the quinoa but for the above ingredients I would say 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa is good...3 cups if you double the recipe like I do.

I usually double this recipe but still only do the amount of basil called for above...it has plenty of flavor and come on 50 basil leaves...kinda overkill.

Take all the ingredients, mix together and chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes...then enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment